Tuesday, February 08, 2011

February= Medical Month

When it rains, it pours.. especially for us this month. All the boys in our family have some kind of medical issue going on.

Oliver...As I wrote about previously, he is scheduled for his MRI tomorrow at 1. Unfortunately, his older brother has shared his cold with him and now he is stuffy and has a cough like a seal. We went to the pediatrician this morning to get it checked out and luckily it is just congestion and nothing else. As long as he doesn't have a fever, he is cleared to have the MRI tomorrow.

Jeremy..2 Fridays ago, Jeremy had this weird dizzy spell that lasted hours and was accompanied by nausea/vomiting. Because he had just worked out, we thought it had to do with that and dismissed it. Well the following Monday, he had another one, this time just after getting up. A third episode occurred on Thursday night, this time being the worst. I finally made him make an appointment with the doctor and he will go in the morning before Oliver's MRI. Vertigo runs in his family and we are thinking this may be the diagnosis but we will wait on the doctor.

Owen..yesterday Owen's physical therapist shared some medical articles with me; she believes she may have found a name for Owen's issues. She believes that he may have gravitational insecurity, which is a sensory processing disorder. You can read about it here and here. I feel like it was one of those lightbulb moments where you are wow. It totally describes Owen and explains his fear of swings, inability to walk up stairs, and his caution when changing to different surfaces. Normally this is something an occupational therapist would work with, not a PT. Therefore after talking with his service coordinator, we are having an OT evaluation on Feb. 21. After reading the articles, it looks like this is caused by a small organ in the ear and it's ability to process changes in gravity. We wonder if it is related to vertigo because that could explain a lot. Poor little guy has also a cold for over a week and it's now turned into a sinus infection. We were prescribed an antibiotic this morning for him this morning at the doctor too.

Surprisingly, I have a peace about it all. I've been studying Isaiah on Tuesday mornings and I have just been reminded of the Lord's soverignity and provision. The Lord is in control of all things and nothing is a surprise to Him. He made my boys exactly as they should be and He gave them to me. They belong to Him and He has given me the job to take care of them while on this Earth. He will give me everything I need to take care of them.

So that's the run down of the boys...we're not going to talk about the pain in my right knee (similar to the one I had in my left knee before surgery)..we have enough going on right now. :)

1 comment:

Lauren V. said...

Oh Shannon, I'm sorry about all of the medical issues your family is dealing with! You're so right though that the Lord is sovereign and good, and none of this goes outside of his control. We'll be praying for all the health issues, especially Oliver's biopsy :(