We continue to have issues with Owen's sleeping. He is still not going down for a morning nap and fighting the 2nd one too. He is obviously tired in the morning as I catch him slowing down and yawning. I have set up nap routines and I have adjusted his times. Nothing seems to work! This is now affecting his nighttime sleep...he is crying for almost an hour every night and he cried for 2 hours last night and still didn't go to sleep. At that point, I went and fed him again as it had been almost 3 hours since he ate. He went to sleep after that at 9:30! Dude, what is your deal?
I am beside myself in frustration. I have taken everyone's suggestions and have tried to apply them in some sort of fashion. I just don't know how to help him sleep.
4 comments:
I'm sorry, I know that's frustrating, Cheri had that problem with Ethan somewhat too... The best advice I can give is to set up a routine, and to have a "settle down time" before you actually put him down.... read a book to him, sing & snuggle him & then put him down, sometimes this helps because they can settle down before being put down. Hang in there!!!
I understand your frustration. I'm having sleep issues with Addi and if I hear one more person tell me..."Oh, my 4 month old is sleeping through the night..." I'm going to go off!! I've come to a conclusion...some kids are great sleepers and some are not. I know, it's real scientific isn't it! Hudson is an awesome sleeper. He only cried it out one time in his life and has slept like a champ ever since. I have tried every trick in the book with Addi and she just fights sleep. It sounds like you have a fighter. I wish I had some words of wisdom, but if I did, I'd use them on myself :)
These are our rules (we do not have things down perfectly, but things are getting better)
1. Nurse when he wakes up.
2. Feed solids 30 minutes following
3. Stay up for 1.5-2 hours, no more
So here is an example of the day:
7:00- wake, nurse, eat solids
9:00- nap
10:30- wake, nurse, eat solids
12:00- nap
1:30- wake, nurse, eat solids
3:00- nap
4:30- wake, nurse, eat solids
7:00- bed time
We are working towards not having that third nap, but it is hit or miss each day.
I have found a blog that I love that might help as well:
www.babywisemom.blogspot.com
Sorry for writing a novel, should have called instead
I have to agree with "the Pearce family" answer- some babies sleep well, some don't. I had a babywise baby for number 1. Slept through the night at 8 weeks and never looked back. #2 had colic, milk allergy, and reflux. then tons of ear infections. since we were in language school and then Mali (and I just wanted to survive period) I did whatever it took for him to sleep- fed over and over, even less than 3 hrs apart, held him in the night, etc- just so I could sleep. (and yes- he didn't stop feeding in the night until I weaned him at a YEAR!) #3 is now in between, a decent sleeper but not like #1 and still not regularly sleeping through the night (7 mos). But such is life. I know at the moment it feels like this stage will last forever and Owen will never sleep (believe me, I understand, I don't feel like I've slept in years) but as my friend said to me many times with #2 "he will sleep, he will, he will, he will" one day, he will, maybe not as soon as you'd like but one day he'll get it all figured out and he'll sleep. It always helped me knowing there was some other mom struggling with their kid sleeping- so just know there are MANY of us out there who are in the same frustrating and tiring boat as you! Ok, talk about a novel I just wrote...
Post a Comment