Thursday, April 16, 2009

Tongue-tied no more

Owen has his appointment with the ENT to examine his tongue. She said he was definitely tongue-tied but it wasn't that tight. She said that it could eventually stretch out and we could just wait unless he was having difficulty eating. I told her how he had difficulty staying latched on and I had to help him a lot. She thought it was best to go ahead and clip the frenulum.

I was surprised how short and painless the whole process was. Jeremy held Owen's arms down while the doctor took a pair of surgurical scissors and made a fast small cut. Owen didn't even cry and it only bled a tiny bit. The doctor had me nurse him immediately to help put pressure on the spot as well as provide comfort. Owen was so fine though and cared very little about taking a whole feeding. He wanted to play instead!

I feel good about the whole thing. I'm glad that we won't have to worry about it in the future and worry if it could affect his speech. Now if he talks funny, we know it's because of us! :)

1 comment:

Courtney said...

I was thinking about ya'll! Glad everything worked out and that it really wasn't a huge thing.