Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Gospel According to Lost


With the 6th and final season of LOST quickly approaching, there is a lot of anticipation as to how the writers will end the show. My husband and I have been big fans of the show since the very beginning, so I jumped at the chance to review The Gospel According to Lost by Chris Seay for Thomas Nelson Publishers. As many Christians will tell you, there are obvious allusions to the Gospel in the show; therefore, I was interested to see what Seay, a pastor, would pick out and how he would relate the two.

Seay states in the first few pages that his purpose in writing was not to erase the mystery and answer all of our questions (because goodness, there are always more questions). His purpose was to point out what we do know and “embrace the mystery of things that are yet to unfold.” To do this, he walks you through a character study of each of the main characters while pointing out how their life or actions relate to Biblical characters or truths.

I believe he did a good job of seeing the Biblical correlations and pointing out new ones I hadn’t thought of before. I like how he gave an insider’s look into the little things that the writers of the show put in. Everything in the show is so thought out and purposeful. I wish Seay would have written the book the same way. I felt like his book lacked organization and he skipped around making random points as he thought of them. I also believe he came up short on pointing non-believers to the Truth. I think the book is a fun read for the die-hard fans, but I didn’t really see how he always related it to the Gospel as you would assume from the title. I felt like the book was a good recap of the last 5 seasons and really got me excited to see how the writers will conclude this awesome and thought-provoking show.




No comments: