Being a teacher is hard in so many ways (as I have voiced many times on this blog) but one way I don't talk about much is the emotional baggage that comes with it. In order to keep their children safe, parents often confided in you very intimate details of their life. This year I think is by far the worse cases. I have kids without either parents due to death, kids who have been kidnapped by one of their parents, and the list just keeps going on.
The more I read their files, the more my heart breaks. What is this generation growing up in? Our society is a scary place to live when kids aren't even safe with their own parents? I feel helpless. I'm just trying to love on them and be as much Jesus to them as I can without speaking his name. On that note, I was touched today to hear one of the girls in my class today witnessing to another girl. She asked me if I would write down her church's web address down for her because she wanted to make sure she spelled it correctly. The next day she brought in specialized tracks for a bunch of the kids in her class. The kids were actually really excited to read them. It's time like these that give a bit of light in such a dark world!
2 comments:
It is great to hear that the children are getting an early start in witnessing and spreading the gospel. It is sad that some children don't have even one parent.
I know the burden you feel and know it is so hard, but you are amazing to keep your focus on HIM and how He can use you in their lives. What an impact you are having everyday!!!
BTW, at the beginning of the summer you asked for book ideas - I'd love to hear what all you recommend - I'm looking for book ideas too :)
Post a Comment