Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Cat is Out of the Bag

The little baby bump is starting to make it's appearance so I thought it was about time to finally tell my students my news. They were eating snack and I went over to the board and told them we were going to play hangman. Of course they were surprised because we never play hangman. The children took turns guessing a letter, when one of my jewels raised his hand and screamed out, "Mrs. Cox is having a baby!" The room exploded with excitement and I had a hard time quieting the kids down. They were so cute and of course had tons of questions: When is it coming? Is it a boy or girl? What are you going to name it? The best was...when is your baby shower? I laughed and told her that I don't know because I can't give my own baby shower. Many of them were truly bummed that they would not be in my class anymore when the baby comes. They were like, "So you mean we'll have to come back from 4th grade to see it?" Like 4th grade is so far away...it's 2 doors down. :)

Of course, the kids had to tell everyone they met along the hall or whoever came in my class. All the teachers knew already so it was no big secret. One kid got so confused that he thought that his teacher was pregnant and ran back to his class and told them that his teacher was pregnant. This of course caused an uproar in her room and she had to reassure them that it wasn't her but me. The kids continued their excitement all the way home; many parents emailed me with congratulatory messages telling me it was the first thing out of the child's mouth when they got in the car.

So the cat is out of the bag but I'm sure the excitement will continue to the end of the year. The kids are already taking bets on the gender...put in your two cents while you can...see the poll on the right. :)

3 comments:

007 said...

Congrats again! I know you can enjoy that kind of excitement.

KP Derby said...

I remember when I told my kids. I read a book about a teacher who was having a baby and at the end I had them guess why I read this book to them. From there out every time I went to the doctor for a check up I would measure my belly in class and measure the height of the kids. That was cool until I really started to grow. They thought it was amazing to see that my belly was as big as some of them were tall. Remember I have the young kids :)

Megan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.