Once October 1st rolled around, it was time to catch up all the appointments that we should have done this summer. Oct. 1st we had Owen's 2 year well check up. He came in weighing 30 lbs (74 %tile) and was 35 1/2 inches tall (79 %tile). Following his daddy's footsteps, he has a whopper of a head..20 in (93 %tile). While there, they had me fill out a developmental checklist. As expected, he is not on target language wise. We knew this would be the case and luckily it is already being addressed with speech therapy. I realized just how far behind he is though seeing how he should be making 2 word sentences and he can't even put two different syllables together. :( The pediatrician did recommended that we have Owen's hearing checked again since it has not been done since his tubes were put in. She also was concerned with his gross motor skills as he is not walking upstairs, jumping, and he has a waddle when he walks. We may do a physical therapy evaluation at his 6 month CDSA update (which is in two weeks). Needless to say, I was a little disheartened after we left. No mother likes to see their child struggle especially when I am doing everything I can to help.
Monday I had my 28/29 week checkup at the OB office. This appointment included the glucose screening test, which I failed with Owen. I was very nervous going in and did everything in my power to have a normal sugar level including limiting my carbs that day. PRAISE the LORD, I passed with flying colors this time and am free to eat as I please the rest of the pregnancy...well in moderation of course. I also had my iron tested and took the mandatory syphilis test, both were fine. They also stuck me with the flu shot. What a day of pricks and pokes! As for the actual appointment, the midwife says Oliver's heartbeat sounds great and he is measuring a week early. He is an active little booger...way more than Owen. I wonder if this will be indicative of his personality.
Today the appointments continued with a trip to the dentist and dermatologist. I had my 6 month cleaning and then the dentist noticed I had a hole (not a cavity) in one of my bottom molars. He suggested we take care of it now before it became a cavity so he fixed that up while fixing a chipped tooth I had in the front. As if that weren't enough, I went to the dermatologist this afternoon and she found a mole that looked funny on my back. She removed it right then and sent it to pathology. We should know in the next week the results from that scan. Please pray that the cells will come back normal and it will not be cancerous.
Our poor insurance company is going to hate us! We have used them for sure in this last week. Here's praying that we can stay healthy and in one piece for a while and take a break from copays!
1 comment:
Girl, I worry about the same stuff with Micah. He's a little behind in speech and gross motor skills, although the doctors say it's not enough yet to warrant therapy. In any case, I'm forever second-guessing myself as a mom because of it. I have heard great things about early intervention, so hopefully Owen will make some big strides in the next few months. Excited to see pics of lil Oliver in a few months ;-)
Post a Comment