Monday, October 22, 2007

Are you a mopey faced Christian?

This was a line from my brother-in-law's sermon this Sunday. He was discussing our roots and where we as Christians plant our lives. He preached from Jeremiah 17

"Cursed is the man who trusts in man and makes flesh his strength, whose heart departs from the Lord...Blessed is the man who trusts is in the Lord, and who hope is in the Lord for he shall be like a tree planted by the waters, which spreads out its roots by the river, And will not fear when heat comes; but its leaf will be green, and will not be anxious in the year of drought, nor will cease from yielding fruit."

I felt like the Lord was speaking to me through these verses about my current state. Though I do trust in the Lord, there are many times this school year when I am trusting in my own abilities and strength to make it through. My quiet times have suffered as well as my prayer life because I'm thinking I have to do it all. I feel like I'm just trying to keep my head above water...planning, grading, going to meetings. I have many difficult kids this year and I feel like every day I am having to fight fires rather than teach. It is all just very overwhelming!

Overall, I feel like I am letting my circumstances affect my mood and disposition. My principal even noticed it the other day and brought me into her office. Of course, like I usually do, I broke down into tears out of mere frustration. She vowed to help me and to come up with strategies so that I could be more successful. While she can help me in the classroom, I really need to seek the Lord. He has shown me time and time again I cannot do this is in my own strength. This "anxiety in the year of drought" is causing me not to be a fun person to be around. I am not going to yield any fruit with the attitude I have now; I am not being a strong witness to my peers because all they hear is me gripe about my classroom troubles.

So I ask that if you get a chance, please pray for me. Pray that I would seek the Lord above all else and rely not on my own strength or understanding. Pray that the Lord would give me strength, wisdom, and guidance.

No comments: